Michelle McCann is even more optimistic about publishing than she was 20 years ago. And we’ve gotta say, her energy is pretty infectious! Since starting as an intern at Beyond Words Publishing in 1991, Michelle’s done pretty much every publishing job. From reading the slush pile she moved up to running a children’s book department and now writes books of her own. With multiple award-winning titles under her belt, she’s done right by the little girl she once was—who used to hide in closets reading books at slumber parties.
We’re rooting for Michelle’s More Girls Who Rocked the World in the Children’s Nonfiction category at this year’s Oregon Book Awards! (And don’t forget Shelley Pearson for YA Lit—listen to her interview here!)
If you don’t like kid’s books, then you’re just wrong.
In this episode…
- Michelle’s Website
- Another look at the Oregon Book Award finalists
- Enough is Enough — Michelle’s upcoming book about teen activism against gun violence
- Fire Sermon by Jamie Quatro
- The 5 Second Rule—inspired by a drunken evening watching rocket ship videos
- The Jewel song that made Emily realize that maybe ballet wasn’t her life path